Thursday, January 1, 2009

Gail Patrick: Deco Dame, Part IV

Because you demanded it...Okay, I demanded it... Here’s the fourth installment of Hollywood Dreamland’s ongoing Gail Patrick tribute. We’re proud to claim that 97% of the attention Gail receives on the internet comes from this blog. This entry will focus on "Gail the Glamorous." Many of the stills the actress posed for have her in high-fashion costumes that emphasized her icy characterizations as the “other woman.” The third photo is another cigarette card, like the one featured in Part II. The second image is my favorite, as Gail looks particularly striking. Enjoy.













The last image is a Milton Caniff drawing. Gail's not rendered here, but I wouldn't be surprised if she'd been an inspiration for his 1930s comic strip, Terry & the Pirates. Gail looks a lot like the "Dragon Lady" character from Terry. Caniff would use the same dame imagery for his long-running (forty-one years) Steve Canyon comic strip. Take a look at the dame on the top right and below on the left, immediately next to Caniff; both women are definitely Patrickesque.

TCM Schedule: Gail in My Favorite Wife (1940) today at 2:30pm (et).

2 comments:

  1. Gail is stunning. I love her in My Favorite Wife :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw Gail Patrick in Love Crazy (1941). She was great. Watching it, I wished she were in more scenes. I can see why you like her so much.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.