Monday, March 2, 2009

Gail Patrick: Deco Dame, Part VI

The tribute that would not die! March brings another entry in my ongoing Gail Patrick appreication! Part VI is a series of pictures finding Gail looking her absolute best as well as a photo from a film in which she is the lead. The lack of available Gail Patrick starring roles on DVD is frustrating, but all good things to those who wait...at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Garbo Gail: This glamour pic finds her in "I vant to be alone" mode. The angst-ridden persona was not a characterization she specialized in, but she sure sells the idea here.

Pulse-Pounding Gail: This is one of the best-looking photos of her I've seen! Looks like a chorus girl get-up; it may be from 1935's Mississippi, a Bing Crosby vehicle which is--you guessed it--unavailable on video.

Long Tall Gail: The statuesque beauty filled those evening gowns as well as any other...

Movie Mag Gail: Gail got her fair share of magazine covers, as her appearance on the September, 1939 issue of Cine-Mundial proves.


King of Alcatraz Gail: Pictured here with Lloyd Nolan, King of Alcatraz (1938) with a plotline not unlike 1935's China Seas, dealing with a pirated freighter. King of Alcatraz marked the film debut of Robert Preston. The future Music Man would also co-star with Gail in 1939's Disbarred.

6 comments:

  1. These are great. I've enjoyed this tribute to Gail. I really know so little about her. It's a shame though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, she's beautiful. Thanks for the picture's, they're saved to my computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol at "I vant to be alone" mode

    Being obssessively fascinated with Garbo, I have found that that is so true with most, if not all old hollywood actress-- even Bette Davis! But I love the term you came up.

    anyways, I always love being introduced to new facsinating actresses from the art deco period.

    I mean, I remember having never heard of Norma Shearer until I real that Complicated Women book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Gail Patrick posts.. keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Gail Patrick! Do you know, when I first saw My Man Godfrey at the ripe old age of 11, I remember wishing I could BE her! Beautiful and powerful more than a wee bit frightening. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. She had a slightly Jean Harlow-esque look to her.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.