Sunday, May 24, 2009

Forgive Me, Ingrid Bergman

I wasn't tagged or anything, but this "180" concept allows me the chance to tell you my tale of woe:


There was a time-- until fairly recently-- that I despised Ingrid Bergman, who is widely considered one of the great actresses and beauties of all time. I certainly didn't see her that way. I found Bergman harsh, shrill, and melodramatic. Couldn't stand her for years--decades. Not her personally, of course, but as an actress she just ground me to a halt every time I watched her in anything. I could tolerate her fleeting presence in Casablanca (1942), but that's mainly because Bogart carried that movie singlehandedly. Oh, Claude Rains gave the performance of a lifetime, too. Anyway, Bergman continued to grate on my nerves and sabotage every classic movie I saw her in. Then, one day, I grew up. So, forgive me Ingrid Bergman, wherever you may be, for doubting your talent, for dismissing your shining brilliance. I toyed with the idea of not thinking you a hack in Indiscreet (1958) but then you went ahead and captivated me, the Hemingway fan, in For Whom The Bell Tolls (1943) you were alongside the great Gary Cooper. You then smacked me with a tremendous performance in Gaslight (1944), which was directed by another highly-regarded Hollywood Dreamland icon, George Cukor. But it was your role in Notorious (1946) (in which you should have won an Oscar) that I was once and for all convinced of your brilliance.


Always Maria: Ingrid Bergman breaks my heart in For Whom The Bell Tolls (1943)

10 comments:

  1. Wow, what pain you must have experienced NOT liking Ingrid Bergman...I cannot imagine it...

    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked her, but now that I think about it, I don't know if it's due to really digging her performances or if it is due to the fact that she is just in a lot of movies that I love. I guess film selection is half the battle for an actor/actress anyway, so she chose wisely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Ingrid slapped you into loving her! I will be sure to comment on my Ingrid Blog lol-- but I'm glad you've crossed over from the dark side. The first step is admitting you have a problem with Ingrid. Lol.

    YEY! Ingrid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was the same way too...I had a 180 tag for Ingrid as well. I didn't despise her, but for some reason she annoyed me. And now I positively adore her. Funny how these things work out, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. notorious really brought me around as well. i'm glad i'm not the only one in the ingrid convert boat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how our perceptions of certain actors/actresses, films, etc. can totally change over time. I know there are few people like that I've felt that way - Woody Allen for one. Couldn't stand him before but now I can't get enough of him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ingrid was always one of my favorites. And yes Notorious is one of her best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, great that you changed your mind about my landlady! Although she might me considered over the top in the end of Gaslight (people say that she's over acting), she is wonderful. And isn't her over acting in that scene just what it was supposed to be? She's mocking Charles Boyer, for crying out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always really loved her in Notorious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is good to get that kind of pain off your chest. You centainly must be relieved to no longer be carrying that kind of burden around.
    Welcome back C.K.!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.