Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Susan Hayward and Her Hair Strike Back


Thanks to Turner Classic Movies, I got to see I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955) once again. The film is a great showcase for Susan's loveliness, charisma and unbelievable screen presence. She is simply mesmerizing every second she's on screen. I just couldn't take my eyes off her! She radiates power, sizzles with her wonderfully husky voice, and it's no wonder that she was so popular in the 1950s. There's a sequence towards the end of the movie where she's at an Alcholics Anonymous meeting where she (playing singer Lillian Roth) sings a medley of her hits (all sung for real by Hayward) to her beau and future husband, played by Eddie Albert. The two actors have a great rapport and I wonder how well they got along off screen. Susan is particularly effective when she makes the standard, "Happiness is a Thing Called Joe" her own. She owns that song. Just seeing Hayward again gets me excited about exploring her movies and life once more. She is a 1950s icon worthy of rediscovery by today's classic film lover. She worked with nearly every leading man of the 1940s and 50s, although not Burt Lancaster; that's a pairing I'd love to have seen.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan as well. (Though I've never been able to totally fall for S.H. -- she looks exactly like my sister!) I'll Cry Tomorrow isn't a movie that I can watch over and over, but it's probably her best role and her scenes with Jo Van Fleet are top notch.

    (Sorry about the comment above -- wrong account!)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.