Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Jean Arthur on August 30th

August 30th can't come soon enough, as Turner Classic Movie's glorious Summer Under the Stars theme will be dedicated to lovely and screwy Jean Arthur. There'll be plenty of her movies that I haven't seen airing on that day, but the best of all is 1936's The Ex-Mrs. Bradford, a Thin Man-style mystery/comedy (co-starring William Powell) that leads my list of wanted films not on DVD. I haven't seen this in about two years, and look forward to adding it to my ongoing Husband and Wife Detectives series with a nauseatingly in-depth review. I know I'm excited...though I doubt I'll be moved enough to want to purchase a recording device to capture this glorious film for my compulsive viewing pleasure.

I apologize for not posting longer pieces lately. My father died on July 20 and I haven't been feeling up to anything, really. But I will bounce back and continue to (hopefully) keep your interest.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your loss.

    I already have The Ex-Mrs. Bradford on DVD, so when it's on this month if you want I can tape it again for you! Just send me an email if you want me to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my shadier business dealings has enabled me to have this on DVD as well. :)

    I know she's been in better stuff, but The Ex-Mrs. Bradford is my favorite film with Jean Arthur, and I look forward to seeing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean Arthur is one of my 5 favorite actresses of the studio era (along with Davis, Hepburn, Dunne, and Colbert). She was often better than the movies she was in, but I'll watch anything with her in it. My favorite Arthur performance: "The More the Merrier." But I'll be catching up with this one as well as others I haven't seen. Looking forward to any follow-ups on her after August 30.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so sorry about your father. :( and the ex-mrs. bradford it such fun! i think my favorite lesser known jean film would either be party wire or if you could only cook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C.K. - sorry about your loss.

    Jean Arthur is one of my favorites. I wrote something on her myself a while back. Looking forward to seeing her on the 30th especially in the works I have never seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry about the loss of your father. You have my deepest condolences. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry about your father.

    I love Jean Arthur's films! I particularly like "The Devil and Miss Jones", and "If Only You Could Cook", but I'll happily watch anything she's in...did you see the one (title escapes me) with Charles Boyer masquerading as a jewel thief?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sorry to hear about your father, C.K.

    I haven't seen enough Jean Arthur, but love her in 'Only Angels Have Wings' and 'The Talk of the Town'.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.