Sunday, October 18, 2009

Rita Hayworth: Blonde Bombshell?


As I continue to age and become increasingly feeble, forgetful, and just plain dopey, I nevertheless come up with theories that appear to be accurate. Case in point: Rita Hayworth. The movie goddess and dreams of millions of men the world over was best known for being a red-headed pinup during World War II. However, in the 1948 film noir The Lady From Shanghai, hubby Orson Welles had Rita dye her hair for her role ass a sick and twisted femme fatale. But you knew all that. Now before I go forth with my crackpot belief, I'll have you know that what I don't know about style could be stuffed into the Grand Canyon. But what I've always found interesting about Rita-as-blonde is how well she makes that look work for her. Rita was of latin extraction, so her looks were such that her dark complexion wouldn't really work all that well with blonde hair. In fact, I see zillions of bleach blondes of all ages out there in the real world and I can tell from their olive or yellowish complexion--or black eyebrows--that they're not real blondes. How did Rita Hayworth pull this look off? Perhaps the fact that Shanghai was filmed in black and white helped. But the color still pictured above shows Hayworth aquitting herself quite well with this look, latina extraction and all. I guess some women are just plain beautiful no matter how they're made up.

9 comments:

  1. Rita was just a stunning Goddess. Every way she was made up, she was just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently saw The Lady from Shanghai - Rita was gorgeous but unfortunately it didn't save the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She wasn't all that natural. I heard she had some of her ribs removed to make her waist look thinner, as well as her nose and cheekbones retouched. Although, I believe she was quite fair-complexioned, which is not at all unusual even for brunettes. Anyway, she was gorgeous, though a bit too predatory to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just about to say that - plastic surgery! It was first after an extreme make over that she became big in Hollywood. But there must be some natural underlying beauty of course, if the result of some nip and tuck is Rita Hayworth! She reminds me of Lana Turner in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita was gorgeous no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is beautiful no matter what. It seems they all were during that time. Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to let you know I added you to my blog roll! Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks nice as long as I don't think about who she is. I prefer her darker. I still say bleach kits should come with a bottle of brown hair dye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. People get your facts together before you post inaccuracies. Rita never had any plastic surgery, especially not cheek/nose jobs or rib removal. For god sakes, those would have been considered drastic procedures for that time (early 1940s) and certainly not worth risking one's career/health. The only thing that Rita had done, was have her hairline slightly raised through electrolysis at the demand of studio execs because they thought (god knows why) that her hairline was too low. And obviously they also had her dye her hair red from her natural brunette. If you don't believe me, see the gorgeous 17 year old Rita (before hairline raising and in her natural brunette color) dancing in this youtube video of one of her first acting jobs (1935): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj_dnnRPniU She had the figure of an angel (don't tell me she had her ribs removed at 17!) and her face is simply stunning. Also do not be surprised that Rita had a very fair complexion as her mother was Irish. Her father was from Spain so obviously she inherited some darker Mediterranean features from him (hair color/eye color) but she inherited some features from her mother as well (light complexion). All together she was one heck of a gorgeous lady, one of the most beautiful to ever grace the silver screen.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.