Saturday, October 3, 2009

William Powell's Final Interview


Here he is, Nick Charles himself, playing out the string of a long, productive life. William Powell, the debonair one, the thinking man's Cary Grant. Relaxing poolside with that ever-present cocktail. If one of Hollywood's greatest stars ever had a happy ending, then it was William Powell. Happily married to his (younger) wife of thirty years, Powell retreated into a private, simple life. Apparently he became lovably grouchy owing to his increasing deafness. Any man who endures the death of his fiancee, cancer at the peak of his career, and the suicide of his son has got to emerge a winner. The interview is from Hollywood Studio magazine. Feel that California heat...


This month is Hollywood Dreamland's first anniversary. I was Lazy Bones Jones last month, but have renewed purpose for October. I'll be focusing on Nick Charles with a typically offbeat rundown of The Thin Man series, my favorite films of all time, in what I call the Husband & Wife Detective genre.

15 comments:

  1. From slightly older sibling "Carole & Co." (born June 13, 2007), congratulations on your first anniversary, and I wish you many more.

    Thanks for the Powell piece, not so much an interview as a career and personal valedictory. Considering all he went through -- losing a fiancee, an ex-wife he remained on good terms with, and a son -- I'm delighted he had a happy ending. (But did you really have to put down Cary Grant? Both he and Powell are wonderful, but demonstrably different.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary, and many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. William Powell was an admirable man. I look forward to your October posting! And congratulations to a whole year in the classic film blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VP: I'd never put down Cary Grant; we share the same face! ;) Really, that wasn't my intention. Thanks for your kind words.

    Amanda & Kate: Thanks! Keep up the good work at your respective blogs.

    Lolita: I know that you've become quite the Powell fan. I commend you on your excellent taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C.K,
    My great aunt worked as a cook for William Powell. She said that he was a great boss and person. It was before he moved to Palm Springs. My aunt also worked for Rosiland Russell. She liked her as well. I love the picture you have a the start of your Blog. To me it honestly captures Carole Lombarde's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! As you know, I'm a huge fan of his. Nice to see that interview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. October is an excellent month to be "born" in. Happy anniversary! And thanks for sharing this treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there. Great post. Hope you've enjoyed the weekend. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great article on the Powell's. What year was the interview?

    ReplyDelete
  10. William Powell is one of my absolute favorite's! I had been looking for a photograph of his Home in Palm Springs, CA when I came across your site! You don't have one by any chance? Big Big Fan of the Thin Man Series and Powell in general.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.