Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hollywood Dreamland Goes Postal (Again)


Instead of a time-sensitive post reminding you to have a Happy New Year or getting on my knees like Al Jolson and begging you to watch the Thin Man Marathon on Turner Classic Movies this evening (8pm EST), I'm going to be fiercely independent in that stern, Bryn Mawr, New England way that was Katharine Hepburn and not do either of those things (oops, too late!). Kate, like Gary Cooper earlier this year, has a United States Postage Stamp with her lovely visage slapped on it, due in 2010. And did you notice how the stamp pictured above is cancelled out? If people were "basically good", they wouldn't have to do that. ;)

Getting word of Kate's postage stamp as well as seeing her this past week in one our favorite movies, Adam's Rib, has got the Kate mood flowing again, so perhaps I'll threaten you all with some Hepburn posts in the new year. I still have that 100th Anniversary DVD to watch I got for Christmas, 2008 and I'd like to do a few entries on her 1930s films, too. Hopefully, enough energy and enthusiasm can be mustered up in 2010 in order to do that.

So Happy New Year, and don't forget to watch the Nick and Nora marathon tonight, unless you have other plans, like sacking Rome with your Visigoth friends from the office.

12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I hope you've been having a great holiday season. Mine has been wonderful except for my cable modem dying on me. I just did a new post with a big announcement in it. I hope you'll check it out. Thanks. Take care. Have a fantastic holiday weekend. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for TCM and the Thin Man movies. That's our NYE this year!

    Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to second Eileen's comment. Know I have something fun to do tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen's the closest thing there is to a real-life Nora Charles. She might deny it, but trust me, she is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year, C.K.! I'll definitely be snagging some of those postage stamps. They picked a great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    I've selected you for The Glamourous Blog Award! The badge and details can be found at Bygone Knits. (http://bygoneknits.blogspot.com/2009/12/honored.html)

    Cheers,
    Honore

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! Finally one of my all-time favourite actresses. Movies featuring her and Cary Grant are a visual and intellectual feast. I never tire of watching them.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I followed your name from Keith's - I adore that character C.K from The Philadelphia Story, did you know that Jo Cotten (a firm FAVOURITE) played him originally on Broadway?

    As for stamps, I'm holding out for the Orson Welles one, not likely in London although he was much appreciated here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welocme to 2010, Happy New Year to you C.K. and all your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got to watch the first two Thin Man movies in the marathon before I was over ruled by loud sighs and complaints about the lack of color (I honestly don't even notice that they're not in color) and changed the channel.

    Thanks for the heads up! Hope you had a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know, kate would probably get all bitchy about a stamp with her likeness, until she was alone in her bedroom. THEN (out of the public's gaze), she'd begin madly throwing stamps on envelopes, until she realized that you can't lick a stamp anymore. disgusted by these "new-fangled whatevertheyares", she throw them all into the fireplace, have another scotch and pass out.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.