Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Shelf Life of a Post


Like many other classic movie blogs, Hollywood Dreamland has the LinkWithin feature below each entry because it brings attention to similarly-themed posts that someone might enjoy. I love reading people's comments, both the critical and constructive, but I can't help but notice how often an entry gets comments initially and then nothing at all. Most blogs are like this; I'm sure this is the case in your corner of the bloggosphere. So I'm pleasantly surprised when someone surfing the 'net finds something I scratched out six months ago and comments on it, whether it be correcting a mistake, praising my "insight", or directing me to "Beautiful Russian Women." It's especially pleasing when someone posts a comment on an entry of which I'm particularly proud. But overrall the shelf life of a blog post--be it a long-winded Thin Man article or short Gene Tierney blurb--is rather brief, but I'm grateful for those who read and above all--comment on what's written.

8 comments:

  1. I love finding new-to-me blogs with content that interests, intrigues, and challenges me, although if the most recent entry was months ago, I suspect the person's no longer writing and then I don't comment.

    Some people, though, close the comments on their blogs after two weeks or so, and that gets frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog recently - searching "Thin Man" probably, and am enjoying getting caught up on your posts. I figured I am too late to the party to comment on the older ones, but maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not complaining, mind you; more of an observation. It happens here and at many other blogs I frequent. I try to avoid "time sensitive" entries so that they remain relevant for anyone who chances upon them.

    What I was trying to say was I appreciate any and all comments; they make my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree, it's always such a pleasant surprise to get a comment on a months-old post!

    The Link Within widget is marvelous, though on my blog I hate it when it still links to posts I've since deleted, or (yup) time sensitive posts like giveaways...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry I don't comment more often.

    I get comments on old blog posts at RetroHound.com, which is pretty good seeing as I'm lucky to get one or two comments on a current post. Mostly, someone comes across something I posted a while back and they just have to say "I remember that!" It's fun.

    I think part of why people don't comment is they don't have anything to add or no questions are asked that need a response. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's very gratifying when someone seems to have gone to the trouble of digging out an old entry and then commenting on it. A good tagging system that brings traffic from search engines seems to be one of the keys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to let me know they've read something I've written, no matter how old it is. When I'm the reader, though, for some reason I always feel funny commenting on older posts, like I'm just wasting space in the author's inbox.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every now and then, I get a comment on a "Carole & Co." post I wrote some time ago -- even posts I wrote in 2007. It's a kick to know those posts still live.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.