Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Great Ginger Picture


I'm always dazzled by how well put together movie stars from the 1930s always were. Here, Ginger Rogers is in her 1935 splendor in Top Hat with director Mark Sandrich. I love the candid shot of Ginger, who looked her best in photographs like these. I wonder how long it took to get her hair in such an immaculate state? I have only one regret about Top Hat, and that is the fact that "The Piccolino" didn't catch on like "The Carioca" did. I'll blame Mussolini.

6 comments:

  1. Yowzah! She was a looker.

    retrohound.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy, I can tell you how long for that hair--hours! And after every take they'd have to check and see that it was still perfect...

    On the other hand, a good set lasts for days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture! I love on-set photos. I've wondered the same thing about "The Piccolino." I get that song stuck in my head all the time. I think it's such a cute song and I don't know why it isn't as popular as some of the other big numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvelous photo! I've always been amazed at how impeccable they managed to look! Quite the cause for envy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is it that such beautiful women aren't born anymore? I wonder if junk food and smoking is to blame. She had both charm, beauty, meaning in their eyes, and, like most old movie stars, class -- the quality no longer present on the modern cinema scope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous picture. I've now got "The Piccolino" stuck in my head, and I haven't even seen the movie in months.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.