Sunday, January 31, 2010

Poll Results: Mae West


It should've been a landslide, but Mae West edged out Bette Davis by just one vote as the winner of the poll question: "Who's the greatest wisecracking dame of them all?" The competition was fierce! This was one of the closest polls HD has ever done. Myrna Loy led the pack early but Bette and Mae had a fierce see-saw battle over first place. Rosalind Russell did quite well, and I won't shy away from saying how pleased I was. I hope that those who haven't seen or heard these dames in action will seek their films out and discover what a joy each and every one of them is--even Joan; poor, poor, one-vote Joan. Here's how the voting went, with a total of 112 votes cast:


Mae West 25 (22%)

Bette Davis 24 (21%)
Rosalind Russell 18 (16%)
Myrna Loy 17 (15%)
Jean Harlow 16 (14%)
Ginger Rogers 11 (9%)
Joan Crawford 1 (0%)

It's my view that Mae West deserved to win because her wisecrackery is her legacy. West isn't known for her tremendous acting chops or her immortal film roles. This is how we know Mae West. Even if you never heard of her, it's possible you can still hear her voice speaking these lines whether they're from her films or not:

"When I'm good I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better."

"It's not the men in my life that count, it's the life in my men."

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."

"I believe in censorship. I made a fortune out of it."

"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it."

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

"I've been in more laps than a napkin."

1 comment:

  1. I must ad, the way she sings is just great! She seems to be a black singer with white skin. I love I'M NO ANGEL very much.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.