Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blogs I Love, Part II-A

As I splashed another cup of lukewarm coffee down my gullet this morning, I realized that I had been more like a regular panelist on other people's blog comments sections, and with Spring in fulll swing, I descended into my usual mode of blogging underachievement by devising another segment of Blogs I Love. I've been spending a lot of time at these blogs lately, what with me actually having interests outside of 1930s and '40s movies. Here are a few blogs well worthy of your time and attention. One of them I've listed before but the other two are largely non-film blogs with fascinating subject matter. Let me introduce them:




Goodfella's Movie Blog- Previously mentioned but due for another nod is Dave's blog. He's wrapping up a Film Noir counrdown of epic proportions. Also not to be missed is the amazingly enlightening comments section, where the big brains of film criticism discuss--and often disagree with-- Dave's rankings!


Voyages Extraordinaires, which has the sub-title "Scientific Romances of a Bygone Age." This blog is not mere "Steampunk" as blogger Cory Gross goes into detail on the era as well as the subsequent art, literature, and cinema influenced by the Victorian Age. This includes Disney and Doctor Who in addition to progenitors Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. Do have a look.


Vintage Disneyland Tickets- I've never been to Disneyland but I am making a return trip to Walt Disney World at the end of the month--hence my distracted nature--Tim has posted tons of fascinating Disney-related items such as guidebooks, promotional items, and material meant only for employees' eyes. Through the site one gets a vivid history of Disneyland and I've learned a lot in the short time since discovering the place.

7 comments:

  1. Your link for Disneyland tickets goes to Voyages Extraordinaire, which has the bonus of the URL having the words age and sex in it..


    Retrohound.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert: Thanks for pointing that out. Can't do anything about the way "Voyages Extraordinaires" looks when the words run together, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going to Disneyland and someone was caught shoplifting (gasp) and were put in these giant, cartoonish cage/prisons [like the child snatcher's cage in Chitty, Chitty Bang, Bang] until their parents could claim them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Im going to Disney World soon too! Well the beginning of next month. But it hasnt been that long between visits - I was just there in December!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sassy, this is a short time between trips for me, too. I visited this past October and it was--for Florida of course--cold! 40 degrees and Splash Mountain just don't mix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Vintage Disneyland Tickets site is new to me -- thanks for a great tip! Nice to see he links to the Dreger Clock site in his blogroll, which is a friend's site. (It's a clock which used to be at Knott's Berry Farm and was recently restored.)

    Best wishes,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a fantastic blog that is, "Voyages Extraordinaires"; thanks for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.