Sunday, May 16, 2010

Priceless Expressions


In this scene from The Philadelphia Story, C.K. Dexter Haven (Cary Grant) and George Kittredge (John Howard) react at the first sight of a hungover Macaulay Connor (James Stewart; Oscar winner--get used to it Fonda fans) singing "Over the Rainbow" while carrying a hungover Tracy Lord (Katharine Hepburn) back home at dawn...on her wedding day(!). Not only is the above-shot priceless, so is the dialogue in the subsequent scene. As many times as I've seen the film, it was only recently that I noticed how good John Howard's reaction is here.

By the way, there have been some tremendous comments in the Katharine Hepburn: The Philadelphia Story (1940) entry! It's amazing how much fascinating insight can be read into this marvelous movie.

4 comments:

  1. Hello. I hope this finds you doing well. I've been on a blogging hiatus since the beginning of the year, so it's been quite some time since I've been around to visit some blogs. I'm back from my break now. I wanted to make sure to visit your blog. I enjoyed checking out the latest posts on your blog. Great job. I'm back blogging now myself. I hope you'll take a look at what I'm doing. Thanks. Take care. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey pally! Glad to know you're back! I kept the faith and knew you'd return!

    I'm looking forward to my Dino and Sugar and Spice fix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's this about you heading my way, CK?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew: That's right! I'm visiting London this August. That is if the volcano, Greek riots, and Nick Clegg don't cause any more trouble. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.