Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Word from Our Sponsor(s)...


Just as they do today, major motion picture stars shilled for products in the days of yore. It's especially noteworthy that the female actresses of the day were particularly prominent in product ads, as I'd imagine that much of their income could be derived from such work. There's no doubt that many stars, like Ginger Rogers, got the bulk of their cash from advertising work, whether for radio or in these lovely print ads. Rogers even mentions in her autobiography how she wasn't paid as much as many other performers and therefore had to work continuously to support her lifestyle.





This Carole Lombard ad is my favorite of the bunch, as it conveys that glamorous California/American West feeling that is grafted to my memory, despite me never having set foot in California or the 1930s...




I love these illustrated print ads, as they show an idealized vision of the products even better than photographs do, as they require almost no touch up as photographs would beginning in the 1960s, when illustrated ads took second place to their photographic counterparts.



After you've purchased and consumed these products, why not head out to the cinema and see the latest Cary and Ginger masterwork?

8 comments:

  1. The early bird gets the worm, or what? And what worms!

    Thank you, Dexter!
    Didn't consult such gorgeous Sunday read in a long time. Where did you get those? I'm speechless ...

    Though will have to say something about this later. My online-computer is crazy, messes all pictures up, so I gotta have this 30s Sunday Read on my offline-computer.

    "Never set foot in the 1930s" HA! - This is like having a walk in the 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are GREAT! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen those car ads...gorgeous!!

    Best wishes,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eep! I love advertisements like these - I have many of Deborah Kerr's ads, and some of them are so cute! :) Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pic of Rosalind! And in the first, Gene looks like she's enjoying a refreshing beverage after polishing off her brother-in-law in Leave Her To Heaven!
    (For some reason, I was under the assumption stars didn't get paid for their advertising work; I'm glad to read it's not true!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is an amazing blog, I love your banner, Carole Lombard is one of my favorite actresses =) I've just started my own blog on Classic Hollywood and I am glad to join this community! I'll be reading yours from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reason why collecting examples like this is, I like to imitate the typical print area of the 30s. I think it's a great chance to design our blogs in the style of the golden days: Not only talking about those days, but becoming part of them, by adapting their style. And of course it's constant trying to kill the influence of modern taste inside of me - reeducating myself, to forget all the ugly and stick to the beauty - the true aesthetic. They taught me a lot of hooey at school and I got to re-reform this all. Well, it's great fun! Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ads! I'm always amazed by just how much they could get away with in the cigarette ads in those days. And the car ones are incredibly glamorous. Judy

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.