Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Distractions, Distractions--and the Warner Archive


Mike Hammer must've spent hours marvelling over his wall-mounted, reel-to-reel answering machine in Kiss Me Deadly (1955)! I've been distracted as well, though not by gadgets. Seems I've spent the last few weeks in a big comic book mood and have neglected my blogging. I'm patiently waiting for the weather to cool down, the days to get shorter, and my attention span to grow longer as Fall--Florida has a Fall, of sorts--comes and Summer (and hurricane season) finally goes away.

I'm quite enamored with the Warner Brothers. Archive! I'm quite pleased that they've released The Ex-Mrs. Bradford, which is an entry in my beloved Husbands and Wives Detectives genre, and it gives me hope to think that they'll give the "Fast" series the same treatment. They've also been introducing me to several films I've never heard of. That, coupled with their frequent sales has been great.
Okay, I promise to get back into the swing of things and get those posts that've been sitting in virtual storage...

4 comments:

  1. I hope the days get short and cool for you soon.

    It's still hot as hell, here.

    ...

    I missed you in my (slightly more extreme) absence.

    I hope you're well. :)

    ...

    I taped THE EX-MRS. BRADFORD off TCM a couple years ago. Not completely wild about it, but I've learned to tape the Jean Arthur movies when I get the chance, 'cause not all of 'em are readily available.

    ...

    What Comic Books do you read?

    I spent the last few months in a doll mood, instead of a movie mood, so I can relate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger:

    Glad you're back. Hopefully you'll stick around and finish that Bowery Boys series. I'm sure the Pakistani blog clones will be pleased. ;)

    I reviewed The Ex-Mrs. Bradford some months ago and wasn't thrilled with the film as far as the comedic angle was concerned, but this last time I enjoyed the actual mystery itself. I also take it upon myself to get every "Sleauthing Couple" movie I can find.

    I read mostly the old comics from the '70s. I sold some Star Wars action figures to a comic store for $225.00 that I'd bought at a yard sale seventeen years ago for $10.00. With the proceeds, I picked up nearly the entire run of Master of Kung Fu, which doesn't sound as mindless as it sounds. In fact, the book boasted stellar writing, gorgeous artwork, and was more "James Bond Meets the ('70s) Kung Fu TV Series." On a movie-related note, one of the artists models many characters on film stars: Bogart, Brando, Niven, and even Groucho Marx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the THIN MAN now too, but I still feel my heart goes for Jean's Mrs. Bradford. Or maybe it's just my "Jean Arthur -loving heart" (Ginger Ingenue's cute little poem)?

    Well, I have 1932 anyway and in January it'll be 1934 and the THIN MAN will be on my schedule: I will see that film quite frequently and maybe then I'll change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't consider this comment spam - -I've read your postings and loved them for some time. I'm an archivist at Wanrer Bros and I have a book coming out in a few weeks called "MGM: Hollywood's Greatest backlot" It just seems like your readers (and yes, myself) might enjoy a plug for this work. Interest?

    Steve Bingen
    twbrxdx@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.