Friday, September 23, 2011

In Memoriam: Gerald aka Gordon Pasha




"The only way men can respond to a star is to gaze at it from their remote planet. And even when a star passes out of our sight in the sequence of orbits; we believe that it exists still and feel the gravitational pull it exerts."


Over at Laura's Miscellaneous Blog and Matthew Coniam's Movietone News I was saddened to learn of the death of fellow blogger Gerald, aka Gordon Pasha. Gerald often posted insightful and humorous comments here at Hollywood Dreamland, and I particularly enjoyed his remarks about Katharine Hepburn, like the following comment on my review of Dragon Seed which hilariously sums up that misfire of a movie. I'll miss your wit and wisdom, Gerald.



ck:


"I think you have it just right. This is always a “making dinner” movie for me – I put it on when moving sauté pans around the stove, readying a table, and stirring something that needs stirring. I am a fierce Katharine Hepburn advocate and both an Agnes Moorehead and Aline MacMahon worshipper, but this puts my top 50 list to the test. All three are on my list, and all three are in this movie -- and I am worrying about what’s in the oven. And I cannot help thinking that Turhan Bey must have accidentally reported to the wrong lot, and had to take off his Sudan costume."




Gerald

3 comments:

  1. I love that! Ah, he'll be missed.

    Best wishes,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I'm so sorry to read this. I just read movietone news' post about him. Very sweet

    ReplyDelete
  3. CK,

    What lovely tribute.

    I cried when I read his last post,"Closing Time."

    - Java

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.